"report" 'someone reporting to a manager'

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Thu May 28 21:45:22 UTC 2009

On May 28, 2009, at 1:42 PM, Dave Wilton wrote:

> From my personal experience in Silicon Valley, this sense of
> "report" is so
> frequent that I never even considered that someone might find it
> unusual.
> It's not all that recent, being around for at least a decade or so,
> possibly
> much older. I can't recall if it was in use back when I worked for the
> government.
>
> Searching for "direct report" might help in separating out the chaff.

??  usually when we criticize claims that some usage is "recent", we
cite numbers of occurrences from 50-400 years.  something on the order
of 10 years ago *is* recent.

if you have older occurrences, bring them out, rather than throwing
the burden on me to find examples i've already spend hours searching
for.

i fully expected people to say that they were long familiar with this
usage in a restricted technical context.  i wouldn't be at all
surprised.  (i never claimed it was new, only new to me.)  so bring on
the citations.

arnold, bowing out of this topic, leaving it to people who actually
have access to relevant texts