use of "my bad"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat May 30 03:22:32 UTC 2009

This discussion reminds me of a question I had about "no fair".  AHD
glosses it as 'something contrary to the rules' but, as noted in the
OED, it occurs "chiefly in representations of children's speech"--and
one might even venture to say that it is an element of children's
speech (not just its representation), even when it's used allusively
by grown-ups.   But I'm not sure how this began.  (The Opies, great
cataloguers of children's games, put it in a bag with "no good", but
the latter has no such restriction, while "no fair" (as opposed to,
say, "not fair") seems to be a feature of "children's dialect" in
both UK and US English.

LH