"clinker" (n.3), 1940

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat May 30 13:39:13 UTC 2009

A blending of clinker (n.3) "first-rate" with clinker (n.1) "imperious"?

At 5/29/2009 11:03 PM, Mark Mandel wrote:

>Just from the quote, I'd interpret it as very roughly "something impressive"
>or "a real piece of work": strongly evaluative, but could be either positive
>or negative. I feel I could substitute into its uses here as "Ain't she
>somethin'?" and "She's somethin' else, all right." This is just a WAG, of
>course.

In the context, definitely admiring .  There's more than a bit of fem
lib in the play. "clinker" n.3 sense 2. fig. b.

And ronbutters at AOL.COM wrote:
In my childhood in Iowa, a clinker was a large hard cinder left on
the grate of a coal furnace. [Mine too.]  The term was applied to
people who disappointed or behaved imperiously.

"clinker" n.1 but not quite in the OED for this concrete sense (close
perhaps is sense 3, "A hard mass formed by the fusion of the earthy
impurities of coal, lime-stone, iron ore, or the like, in a furnace
or forge; a mass of slag."), and definitely not for the figurative sense.

Joel