technical terminology in ordinary language

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 31 17:43:34 UTC 2009

Hmm... Having hung around both lawyers and engineers, I can certainly
attest to *engineers* using "camshaft" as a rather sarcastic euphemism.
Don't know about mechanics... As for "dispositive" and "colorable",
they've been making their way into TV commentaries for some time now.
Still, I have hardly heard it in "everyday chatter" anywhere outside of
lawyer groups and academia. I suspect that most people who watch legal
analysis on FNC are unlikely to adopt these two in there normal usage.

    VS-)