Q: "jewgaged"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Nov 2 01:49:59 UTC 2009

--

I speculate that the Urbandictionary entry was based exactly and only on
the above lonesome citation.

So we have only a single known instance of the word?

I don't think the meaning can be ascertained from the information at
hand ... in fact I don't think even the existence of the word can be
assured (e.g., could it be a misprint?) ... but my guess as to the
meaning would be different from the guess presented above. I would guess
the word "jewgage" meant "short-gauge" [verb] = "give short/deficient
measure". One can find a few 19th century instances of such a "short
gauge" (even at least once as a verb) at G-books. If this is the right
interpretation, the word would have been used in a jocular metaphoric
fashion here (hence the quotation marks, maybe): the lady is not getting
the attention she 'deserves', but rather only limited contact with a
clothed toe. No doubt still other guesses can be supported.

Or does someone have another citation?

--
--

But other books fail to identify a "jew" in the etymology of "jewlark":
e.g., DARE points instead to "jill" (= "girl[friend]" or so). I myself

-- Doug Wilson