Sam Hall (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Nov 3 17:14:49 UTC 2009

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I don't think so.  Heinlein was personally interested in all of these
political movements.  He was active in the Sinclair movement in CA in
the mid-1930s, he ran for the state assembly as a Democrat in 1938 and
attended the 1940 Democratic Party convention in Chicago, he spent money
out of his own pocket to pay for an ad against the SANE movement in
1958, he identified himself as a libertarian in the 1970s (and also as a
"rational anarchist", I believe, whatever that is).  He actively
supported the Strategic Defense Initiative when Reagan was spinning it
up.

But your point is well taken.  Larry Niven:  "We in the writing
profession have a technical term for people who believe that the authors
believe everything their characters believe. We call them 'idiots'."