They're as self-centered as we are!

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 4 16:23:19 UTC 2009

I'd hardly regard you as pretentious, Joel. After all, I, too,
understood the writer's point - though I wasn't aware of the
distinction in spelling - and anyone familiar with the high quality of
my posts: comments, anecdotes, tales, etc. will certainly assure you
that I am not in the least pretentious. Indeed, the of humility is
impressive. ;-)

-Wilson

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: They're as self-centered as we are!
>
> At 11/3/2009 05:22 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>I'd bet a fat man that most
>>Americans reading his note had not the least idea what the writer
>>meant by "... borrow, (some would say 'knick') ..."
>
> I must be in the pretentious minority again, then.  AND I know how to spell it.
>
> Joel

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain