Knickers (was: They're as self-centered as we are!)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Nov 4 16:25:25 UTC 2009

At 11:24 AM -0500 11/4/09, Charles Doyle wrote:
>Here in America, does "underpants" seem more feminine than
>"underwear" or "shorts" or "briefs"?
>
>--Charlie

"undies" certainly seems to.  Maybe "underpants" is more juvenile
than "underwear", but I don't think it's more feminine, given the
contrast with "panties".  I think "underpants" are also more likely
to refer to briefs than boxers, while "underwear" covers (as it were)
both.  This is just off the top of my head (or whatever); googling
would help resolve the issue.

LH