FYI: linguistics in the news: case of the missing "t"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 5 03:13:32 UTC 2009

 <200911042257.nA4MPltK003815 at mailgw.cc.uga.edu>

I don't think syllable break is it because I'd say that the "tt" in bottle =
begins a new syllable BAH-tool (the "oo" is short)=2C much like Utah  YOU-t=
ah. =20
=20
It probably has more to do with shortcutting vowel distance because the "t"=
 in bottle is up front and the "l" is way back.  So the mouth developed a t=
rick and glottalized the the "t" allowing easy access to the "l".

My thinking is the major influence on pronouncing any sound is subsequent s=
ounds.  The mouth knows what it needs to say and figures out it's tricks on=
 how to get there.  I say "mouth" not brain=2C because it's an automatic ki=
nd of thing.

Tom Zurinskas=2C USA - CT20=2C TN3=2C NJ33=2C FL7+
see truespel.com phonetic spelling

> No=2C the /t/ in Utah is safe=2C because here=2C the /t/ is at the
> beginning of a syllable=2C the onset=3B glottaling only happens in codas
> (ends of Syllables).
>
> Yours=2C
> Paul Johnston
> On Nov 4=2C 2009=2C at 2:31 PM=2C Herb Stahlke wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender: American Dialect Society=20
>> Poster: Herb Stahlke=20
>> Subject: Re: FYI: linguistics in the news: case of the missing
>> "t"
>> ---------
>>
>> The comments on the article are worth a scan. One MoabMike objects
>> that if /t/ were being lost people wouldn't pronounce it in "Utah"
>> either. At least he's looking for counterexamples=2C
>>
>> Herb
>>
>> On Wed=2C Nov 4=2C 2009 at 1:13 PM=2C James Smith
>> wrote:
>>> -----------------------
>>> Sender: American Dialect Society=20
>>> Poster: James Smith=20
>>> Subject: FYI: linguistics in the news: case of the missing "t"
>>> ----------
>>>
>>> http://www.ksl.com/?nid=3D148&sid=3D8548383
>>>

>>> James D. SMITH |If history teaches anything
>>> South SLC=2C UT |it is that we will be sued
>>> jsmithjamessmith at yahoo.com |whether we act quickly and
>>> decisively

>>> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
>>> http://mail.yahoo.com

> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org                                          =
=20
Bing brings you maps=2C menus=2C and reviews organized in one place.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=3Drestaurants&form=3DMFESRP&publ=3DWLHMTAG&cre=
a=3DTEXT_MFESRP_Local_MapsMenu_Resturants_1x1=