eerie

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 15 22:01:53 UTC 2009

Allow me to suggest that the OED definition is a poor one, at least in my
experience. Note, too, how the at least the first three of the four cites
are  from Scots/ Scots English sources, the latet being 1875.

In fact, I think def. 1 could use some work as well.

Also, while this particular reminder might be considered "fear-inspiring,"
"gloomy" is a big stretch in context, and "weird" and "strange" are out.

Cf. Merriam-Webster:

"_Weird_, _eerie_, _uncanny_, mean mysteriously strange or
fantastic. _Weird_ may imply an unearthly or supernatural strangeness or it
may stress queerness or oddness <*weird* creatures from another world>. _Eerie_
suggests an uneasy or fearful consciousness that mysterious and malign
powers are at work <an *eerie* calm preceded the bombing raid>.
_Uncanny_implies disquieting strangeness or mysteriousness <an
*uncanny*resemblance between total strangers>
."

Christiane Amanpour's use today of "eerie" is thus either wrong or novel.
Take your pick.

JL