Sonnet Loan Words -- Surrey

David Bergdahl dlbrgdhl at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 15 22:24:53 UTC 2009

I took my first linguistics course in 1959-60 using George A Miller's
Language and Communication.  I remember that the text used the
Thorndike 1000-word list of the most frequently occurring words in the
major classes (N,V,Adj,Adv) for an analysis of immediate (rather than
ultimate) origins and the results were roughly 2/3 Old English and 1/3
French with only a smattering of other languages, Old Norse, Latin,
Greek, Hindi &c.  Of course a different corpus were used, there might
be different results.  I think the over-estimation of the importance
of Latin and Greek words is the result of tracing words back to their
ultimate sources rather than from the language they were borrowed
from.

Our common vocabulary is still basically germanic although the more
intellectual one writes the more romance language vocabulary appears.
So the serf in Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe does have a point when he
compares the good English words for the animals (cow, pig, sheep) with
the frenchy words for the meats derived from them (beef, pork,
mutton).
-db