What to call what Rush Limbaugh does

Paul paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Mon Nov 16 15:43:26 UTC 2009

paul johnson

What's wrong with propaganda, bombast,sophistry,casuistry, distortion,
incogitancy, bombast,  slanted. biased,  Tatuffery, confabulation.  Just
curious why are we asking for a  new word when there are so many old
fashioned,  readily available  ones?

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> This is not supposed to be political, but I would call it hate-mongering for
> money. Or lying, if you prefer.
>
> Rush racked up $400,000,000 to keep it going through 2016.
>
> That's one thousand (1000) times the annual salary of President George W.
> Bush or President Barack Obama.
>
> For that kind of money, any show-biz character would be inclined to stretch
> the truth.
>
> JL
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:21 AM, George Thompson <george.thompson at nyu.edu>wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
>> Subject:      Re: What to call what Rush Limbaugh does

>> I incline toward "nattering nabob of negativity", myself.
>>
>> GAT
>>
>> George A. Thompson
>> Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern
>> Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

 Privilege buys a lot of things, but money buys everything, if it doesn't buy what you want,
 then you don't have enough of it.