Quote concerning money spent on liquor, gambling, and women (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Nov 16 16:31:45 UTC 2009

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The Channing Pollock who made the statement in 1936 is probably not the
magician.  That Channing Pollock was only born in 1926.

>From the _Pacific Coast Magic News_, vol 2 #10, Aug 1936, p. 7 col 1:
"The scene was the St. Marks lobby during the post-convention party in
Oakland. A magician passed the remark that he had spent a lot of money
at the Seattle convention.  "How did you spend your money," asked one of
the boys.  "Well," was the reply, "I spent some on liquor, some on women
and the rest I spent foolishly." "

Dai Vernon, a prominent magician of the 20th century (1894 - 1992) said
in _Genii_ [a conjuring magazine] May 1971 p 423 col 2:
"Lou Derman gave me a line that I like to use in my opening remarks when
I work at the Castle: "I am 76 years old and I have been doing magic for
over seventy years - I wasted the first six years." "

Other variants:

"Meet Bob Nelson" _Genii_ Feb 1958 p 210 col 3

"Bob was born in Columbus, 0., on November 16, 1901. He wasted the first
few years but by the time he was old enough to read magic catalogs, he
was interested in magic."