Latin contribution?

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Nov 16 21:02:24 UTC 2009

        But did any of these words wind up in modern English?  I had
always heard not.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Johnston
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 3:53 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Latin contribution?

Apparently, yes.  Welsh, Cornish, and Breton (though here Romance
influence continues to the present), all daughters of Old Brythonic,
are loaded with loanwords from Latin, some of which, by virtue of the
fact they went through a cluster of sound changes dating from the end
of the Roman period and just beyond, are certifiably old.  Just one
off the top of my head--Welsh eglwys < Lat. ecclesium.  Note the
lenition of the stop, and the /ui/, which comes from an /e:/ followed
by a high vowel in the next syllable--5th-6th c. sound changes.  Not
all of them have to do with Christianity, either.

Paul Johnston