zerophagy - not in OED (or should it be xerophagy?)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 19 19:09:42 UTC 2009

At 1:47 PM -0500 11/19/09, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>Is the "zerophagy" below something new, or the author's/printer's
>spelling of  (or error for) "xerophagy"?

i.e. = 'dry-eating', as in Parolles' discursus on virginity-qua-withered-pear--

"Your virginity, your old virginity, is like one of our French
wither'd peares, it lookes ill, it eates drily, marry 'tis a wither'd
peare"  (All's Well that Ends Well, I.i)

What a relief!  "Zerophagy" sounds more like a radical new diet
regimen that I fear would be only too effective.

LH