overrided

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 22 18:52:30 UTC 2009

FWIW, H. could have prevented war with a single Imperial rescript (not in
the deconstruction sense) but chose not to.

Of course, he did call for an end to the war once things became obviously
hopeless (citing both the atomic bombings and the Soviet declaration of
Aug. 9). Immediately, a number of diehard military officers tried
unsuccessfully to sieze the palace and depose him so fighting could
continue.

JL

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: overrided

> Isn't "rode hard ..." a fixed idiom that you wouldn't expect to change?
>
> "Overrided" sounds so strange to me that I can see it as just a typo.
>
> And then there's Kiparsky's (former?) claim that derivations, in
> general, t(r)end toward regularity. The last time that I mentioned
> this claim, Larry had some things to say about it. Criticisms, IIRC.
> However, since I had no dog in that fight, I can't remember anything
> that Larry had to say.
>
> -Wilson
>

> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
> wrote:
> -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
> > Subject:      Re: overrided

> > At 9:54 AM -0500 11/22/09, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> >>As I was saying:
> >>
> >>A History Channel program on Pearl Harbor reports that the Emperor
> >>Hirohito's opinion that war with the U.S. would be unwise was "overrided
> by
> >>the military."
> >>
> >>44,000 RGs for "overrided."
> >>
> >>JL
> >>
> > Lots of them probably for the preterit (vs. "overrode") rather than,
> > as here, the participle (vs. "overridden").  Nice one, either way.
> > To reprise an earlier thread, it's reassuring to see the
> > regularization doesn't seem to have spread to the unprefixed case:
> >
> > "rode hard and put away wet":  21,700
> > "rided hard and put away wet": 0
> > "overridden hard and put away wet": 1
> >
> > LH

> --
> -Wilson
> –––
> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"––a strange complaint to
> –Mark Twain

"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"