amonokerism

Daniel Midgley dmidgley at CYLLENE.UWA.EDU.AU
Wed Nov 25 02:38:56 UTC 2009

Hey, all.

I mentioned amonokerism on my weekly radio interview on RTRFM in
Perth, Australia -- gave a shout-out to ADS as well.

http://www.rtrfm.com.au/restream/9014

It's a stream -- I appear about 5/6ths of the way through.

I'm not sure if I pronounced it as intended, and I may have turned
Benjamin into a team of atheists (sorry about that), but I'm a fan of
the meme, and I hope it catches.

Best,
Daniel
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

On 25/11/2009, at 3:46 AM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
> Subject:      Re: amonokerism
>
> Skeptic is another term I considered, but "I'm a skeptic" sounds to
> me as though I'm skeptical about everything. Also, about "skeptic,"
> my Mac dictionary says,
>
> a person inclined to question or doubt all accepted opinions.
> a person who doubts the truth of Christianity and other religions;
> an atheist or agnostic.
>
> I am not inclined to question or doubt the truth of religions. To
> me, they seem so outrageously improbable, they aren't worth
> considering. (They may be interesting to investigate as complexes of
> thought or orientations of society, etc., but not plausible.)
>
> BB
>
> On Nov 24, 2009, at 5:26 AM, Dave Wilton wrote:
>
>> "Skeptic" is a well-established term for someone who bases
>> conclusions on
>> evidence rather than faith, and it does not directly reference
>> deities.
>>
>> "Non-theist" is the most common blanket term to cover all the
>> atheist-agnostic-humanist spectrum, but it does reference deities.

Daniel
Daniel Midgley
University of Western Australia
Linguistics