Language change

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 29 23:57:32 UTC 2009

In 1955, I was a lab asst in the Botany Lab of Wash U in Saint Louis.
One day, the guys were teasing a Chinese visiting scholar by
convincing him that no, the plural of "fungus" isn't "fun-ji," as he
had thought. Rather, it's "fung-guy." It's probably now more than a
quarter-century since I last heard "fungi" pronounced in any manner
except as "fung-guy." What was once a joke has become fact.

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain