Siberian tiger

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 2 07:07:22 UTC 2009

Damn, Victor! That book on the Celts is a real page-turner! I can't
put it down. I found the author's argument that, if you believe that
mankind is truly divided into individual, independent "races," all of
which had to have come into being at a single point in time, exactly
where Europeans "discovered" the- otherwise, the claim is empty of
content, since you clearly can't argue that these races came from
somewhere else without introducing a contradiction - then you also
have to believe that the Bible - the inerrant word of God - in stating
that God created two people from whom *all* of mankind is descended,
*errs*. IOW, you profess heresy. Quite interesting for that time and
that place.

And I'm still reading the Intro. I can't wait to get into the actual book!

-Wilson

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Siberian tiger
>
> I tend ignore the OED WOD that arrives at my mailbox at regular
> intervals, mostly because the words have no relevance and their
> selection seems to be completely arbitrary. But I do preserve the emails.
>
> Today's word is "Siberian". Under definition 2., we have:
>
> 2. In special applications: a. In names of animals or birds, as
> */Siberian cow, dog, husky, ibex, rabbit, tiger, weasel; Siberian crane,
> crow, falcon, finch, thrush,/* etc.
>
> The entry is followed by a long list of examples--what I presume to be
> the earliest spotted use for each combination. Specifically, for
> "Siberian tiger", we get,
> *1895* R. LYDEKKER /Hand-bk. Carnivora/ I. 150 A specimen of the
> *Siberian Tiger, apparently the first brought alive to Europe, was
> exhibited recently in Hagenbeck's menagerie in Amsterdam. *1956* M. L.
> TAYLOR /Tiger's Claw/ vii. 59 ‘Can you read the Chinese ideogram on his
> head?’ he inquired of me. ‘It is /wang/ meaning king. In the north it is
> believed that only Siberian tigers carry this mark.’ *1978* /Times/ 27
> Oct. 32/8 (Advt.), Large Siberian tiger skin mounted on red satin, £600.
>
> Now, that sounded a bit late to me. Sure enough, GoogleBooks' very first
> hit predates the citation (1891). But I can actually push the line back
> to *1836*, with a possibility that earlier editions of one of the books
> may yield an even earlier date. [Note that all the *emphasis* here and
> below, except for /Latin names of species/, has been added.]
>
> But, starting from the top,
>
> George Kennan, Siberia and the exile system, Volume 2, *1891*, p. 63
>
>>  > I asked our driver what it was, and he replied that he presumed it
> was the Siberian tiger that was to be brought to Irkutsk for exhibition
> from some place on the Amur.
>
> Another occurrence is in the January *1890* Century Magazine (vol. 39,
> p. 414--a poem, To the Tsar, by Florence Earle Coates).
>
>>  > From sunless casemates by the Neva shore,
>  From parching steppes where lifeless waters flow,
>  From polar wastes, from mines where men explore
> Grief's inner mysteries, that cry of woe
> Moves trembling unto God:
> And thou who, like *Siberian tiger* caged,
> Must secret journey o'er thy native sod,
> In bomb-proof chambers masked 'gainst perils dim
> That threaten thee from wretched ones enraged--
> Dost thou not falter at the thought of Him?
> [formatting not preserved, except for line breaks]
>
> Yet another entry goes back to *1864*--and, shockingly for a periodical,
> actually represents the January 1864 issue of The Natural History Review
> (London). The review in question starts on p. 204 and the citation is
> from pp. 209-210.
>
> Reisen im Süden von Ost-Siberian in dan Jahren 1855-59 incl. im Auftrage
> der Kats. Geogrphiscen Gesellschaft ausgerführt von Gustav Radde. Band
> [...]

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain