vook (video + book)

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Fri Oct 2 10:19:48 UTC 2009

Ben said about this:

> Possibly modeled on "blook" (blog + book), a blend that's been around
> since 2002.

I don't think it's necessarily got to be actually modelled on _blook_ (in
the sense that the coiner doesn't necessarily have to have formed _vook_
after seeing _blook_ and following the same principle). This thread is the
first time I have encountered either _vook_ or _blook_, but I think they're
both transparent enough in context. Granted, I can't test that properly,
since the occurrences of both terms in this thread were accompanied by
explanations of them, but I wasn't _surprised_ at the explanations, at
least. The thing is that context will presumably always disambiguate, for
now at least: for the moment, until these words become popular (if they
do), _vook_ will presumably only appear in publishing-related discussions,
and _blook_ either in publishing-related discussions or in blogs. So _vook_
is modelled on _blook_ only in the loose sense that it uses the same
technique to derive the new word, but not necessarily, I think, in any
conscious way by anybody. Don't you think?

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK

Tel. (office) +44 (0)1904 432665
     (mobile) +44 (0)771 853 5634
Fax  +44 (0)1904 432673

BORDERS AND IDENTITIES CONFERENCE, JAN 2010:
http://www.york.ac.uk/res/aiseb/bic2010/

http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/lang/people/pages/hall.htm