"hooker" 1835 (NY Transcript) -- Red Hook?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Oct 5 16:29:47 UTC 2009

I see that _Gotham: a history of New York City to 1898_, by Edwin G.
Burrows and Mike Wallace, is presumably one of the (secondary?)
sources for Corlear's Hook.  What about another Hook in NYC?

Red Hook is a neighborhood in Brooklyn, on the waterfront of the
Upper Bay just south of the tip of Manhattan [Google Maps].  And
where there are sailors ...  In the early 19th century it seems also
to have been a site of fortifications (a strategic location,
presumably), gunpowder storage, and military encampments, and a
(presumably poor and possibly high crime) area of Irish immigrants
and (free?) blacks.  [Googling]

"Over the decades, Red Hook, Brooklyn, has been home to many things:
a brawny, corrupt waterfront; free-range prostitution; a sprawling
housing project once ..."  ["Christie's Leases Brooklyn Warehouse to
Store Artworks", NYTimes, 2009/08/25.]  The article doesn't say which decades.

In 1744 Alexander Hamilton (the Maryland doctor) learned that walking
along the Battery (which is across from Red Hook) "was a good way for
a stranger to fit himself with a courtezan".

Possible sources for NYC prostitution (perhaps already mined) or Red
Hook [browsing Burrows and Wallace, and Googling]:

Hill, Marilynn Wood. _Their Sisters' Keepers: Prostitution in New
York City, 1830--1870_.  1993.

Gilfoyle, Timothy J.  _City of Eros: New York City, Prostitution, and
the Commercialization of Sex, 1790--1920_.  1992.

Whiteaker, Larry H.  _Seduction, Prostitution, and Moral Reform in
New York, 1830--1860_.  1997.

Articles by Kasinitz, Philip (and with Jan Rosenberg) on Red Hook are
probably about the 20th century, but might ggive background from the 19th.

Joel