porcinality (and synchronicity)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 6 01:55:01 UTC 2009

At 4:30 PM -0400 10/5/09, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>At 10/5/2009 01:54 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>>--followed immediately by Joel's sent out at 1:05.  I had never heard
>>of the Punch Brothers (or Chris Thile) and nor did I know to what
>>Joel's "Punch, brothers, punch" alludes (evidently a Mark Twain
>>description of the earworm phenomenon*), but I figure it's all a
>>matter of the cosmic vibes.
>
>Larry, did you do the right thing and research the etymology of the
>group's name?
>
>I sign off with the Zen valediction:
>
>Punch with care! (in the presence of the passenjare).
>
>Joel

Ah, I see; they're all connected.  Veddy interesting.

"The line-up of Punch Brothers-whose name is taken from the Mark
Twain short story, Punch, Brothers, Punch!-is formidable."
http://punchbrothers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=42

And a bit more on the conductor's chant:

http://www.twainquotes.com/19150808.html

LH