"Murphy's Law" antedating 1943

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Oct 6 19:04:23 UTC 2009

At 10/6/2009 12:31 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Dave is correct. I'm skeptical of the cites simply because these new
>exx.  sound "too good to be true."
>
>People who publish their diaries decades later have an annoying habit of
>doing minor verbal editing that can drive lexicographers crazy.

And similarly, I often fear that what they report may have the same
annoying characteristic of having been constructed or reconstructed later.

However, Stephen's 1943 find is from letters; perhaps the manuscript
is accessible.  Sabel was alive in 2002 when he wrote

"I have compiled them into a book entitled, "Bill's Letters
Home---World War II". I have given copies to my children,
grandchildren, and siblings and sold others to my old comrades in
arms in the 350th Engineers who were with me in the South Pacific.
The Purdue University Press has published my letters in a book
entitled "Seeds of Hope" and it is available on the internet or from
me."  (http://www.pacificwrecks.com/people/veterans/sabel.html)

If what he calls a compilation is a gathering of the originals, which
were transcribed and published later, it surely is still available
with his heirs or family.  Perhaps the copies of "Bill's Letters
Home---World War II" he gave to family are facsimiles!

Joel