interim comment on "Murphy's Law" antedating 1943

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Oct 8 14:03:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 09:49:58AM -0400, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> Sabel's usage seems suspect to me:
>
> "I keep thinking about what equipment I will need in the morning and what
> this squad and that squad will have to do. I feel if I am not personally
> watching every move the men make, something will go wrong and it usually
> does - Murphy's Law."
>
> The passage appears in a a letter from Sabel to his mother. If the phrase
> was really a novel expression in 1943, I can hardly picture Sabel writing it
> without either quotation marks or some explanation of its presumed origin,
> its currency, etc.  The letter seems to imply that Mrs. Sabel is already
> familiar with the term.  But that would suggest significant civilian
> currency 25 years before we have any other evidence of it.

Without saying anything about the larger question here, I
don't agree that the passage is subject for this reason. This
reads to me as if he is relating the proverb and giving the
name for it, without implying that his mother is familiar with
this name--he's telling her that this proverb has a name, and
what that name is. Setting it off with a dash has the feel to
me of scare quotes or something else like that.

And the concept of Murphy's Law is so obviously proverbial
that it seems to me that this, also, would not be confusing.
That is, "something will go wrong and it usually does" is a
concept that _seems_ proverbial even to someone unfamiliar
with the proverb, so Sabel then giving it a name feels
natural.

Again, I don't know that this is genuine, but I don't think
that the lack of further explanation on Sabel's part itself
suggests that the quotation is bogus.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED