interim comment on "Murphy's Law" antedating 1943

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 9 00:52:43 UTC 2009

Is there a non-trivial distinction between Murphy's Law and Finagle's
Law, aside from the obvious fact that no one, AFAIK, claims that
"Finagle" is / was a real person?

-Wilson

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: interim comment on "Murphy's Law" antedating 1943
>
> Bear in mind too that if Sabel himself retyped the letters for publication,
> it wouldn't be remarkable for him to add, on the spur of the moment,
> the retrospective phrase "Murphy's Law" to sum up the idea that "something
> may go wrong and usually does."
>
> As a normal human, he couldn't have imagined that pedants would focus on
> this.
>
> By the by, one of my earliest TV memories is the introduction to the
> syndicated kid's show "Magic Cottage," I'd say in 1953. It contained the
> words, "where anything can happen - and most everything does!"  My small
> brain thought that was so great!  Of course, at that age I couldn't see the
> ominousness behind the notion....
>
> JL
>

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
>> Subject:      Re: interim comment on "Murphy's Law" antedating 1943

>> Jesse's comments seem largely sound to me, but I wonder whether part of his
>> reasoning is problematic.  What I mean to say is, giving a proverb a name
>> without explanation seems natural to us now, but maybe that is because we
>> already are familiar with Murphy's Law, the Peter Principle, Parkinson's
>> Law, and other humorous named "laws."  Parkinson's Law (1955) and Murphy's
>> Law (not at all widespread before the 1950s as far as we know) were probably
>> the first prominent humorous named "laws," so in 1943 it might not have been
>> natural to name a proverb in this way.
>>
>> Fred

-Wilson
–––