part 3, "Murphy's Law" antedating 1943

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Oct 9 12:37:34 UTC 2009

Thanks to all who commented on or offlist.
I have the book with the 1943 letter. I find nothing anachronistic.
Sabel added some footnotes; as far as I can tell, the rest is plain transcribed
letter text, straightforward midwest farmer draftee meat and potatoes
descriptive prose. I consider the 1943 use of "Murphy's Law" reliable. OK,
98.99% so. I can see how the added, mistaken 1944-1945 diary uses could have
led JL to doubt the dispersion pattern. But someone knew the term before 1949;
Sabel apparently was such a one.

Out of abundance of caution and skepticism-honoring, I emailed the
author; that bounced. I sent snail mail. If Ben or Fred or Jesse or anyone
wishes to call him or his family, fine with me.

I make no strong claim here about the origin of "Murphy's Law," other than its
existence in 1943.

As to Jon's example of a suspect early "dune-buggy." I don't deny that late
unannounced editing of diaries does sometimes happen. I don't have that book.
If that term were the only seeming anomaly, then I would think twice before
dismissing the possibility that that term was invented more than once.

Anyway, good luck for all y'all's research.

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson