diaeresis (dieresis for hotmail spellcheck)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 9 15:19:37 UTC 2009

 <200910090149.n98HjlfK018970 at mailgw.cc.uga.edu>

Diaeresis is a neat word because it contains the problem of diaeresis withi=
n it=3B i.e.=2C how to spell two consecutive vowels.  This came up in desig=
ning truespel.  If two vowels are in sequence=2C it's hard to know the brea=
kdown.  To solve this=2C truespel phonetics puts an apostrophe between two =
consecutive vowels.  So "chaos" is ~kae'aas (~ae as in sundae=2C ~aa as in =
Saab=2C - with stress on the first syl by default). =20
=20
A true pronunciation guide also indicates stress on other than the first sy=
l.  The truespel rule for this is that a doubled consonant indicates stress=
.  Stress thus shifts from the first syl to the vowel after a double conson=
ant.  A problem here is diaeresis - how to show stress on the second of two=
 vowels in a row=2C such as for the word "create".  The solution is a doubl=
e apostrophe (") or quote mark.  So "create" is ~kree"aet.  Thus "creating =
chaos" is ~~kree"aeteeng kae'aas~~. (tildes indicate truespel).

That's the entirety of truespel.  All one need know are the 40 spellings fo=
r the 40 sounds (USA English)=2C plus the diaeresis and stress rules.  It's=
 kind of ugly=2C but then again all phonetic notations are ugly.  The beaut=
y is that it makes phonetics accessible for teaching kids for the first tim=
e.  Kids can learn the 40 sounds right after they learn the 26 letters of t=
he alphabet and better achieve the phonemic awareness now associated with g=
ood reading skills.  They would also become dialect aware at an early age. =
 I think that's a good thing.  =20
=20
see http://tinypaste.com/764f4 to learn truespel in a few minues.  U of Pa =
grad students said it takes 15 minutes to learn.  But that's U of Pa.

Tom Zurinskas=2C USA - CT20=2C TN3=2C NJ33=2C FL7+
see truespel.com phonetic spelling

> ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------=
------
> Sender: American Dialect Society=20
> Poster: Herb Stahlke=20
> Subject: Re: Portuguese language changes
------

> I think I learned the word as an undergrad Classics major=2C and I've
> always pronounced it /di'Er at sIs/. I'm not sure if that's one of Tom's
> pronunciations. I'm not sure if his "die" is /di/ or /daI/.
>
> Herb
>
> On Thu=2C Oct 8=2C 2009 at 3:40 PM=2C Wilson Gray wrote:
>> ---------------------- Information from the mail header ----------------=
-------
>> Sender: American Dialect Society=20
>> Poster: Wilson Gray=20
>> Subject: Re: Portuguese language changes
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-------

>> I've *never* heard this word spoken and=2C until this thread=2C had neve=
>> noticed that it was spelled dia_e_resis and not di_a_resis. Good thing
>> that I've never had occasion to write it or speak it. Though=2C if I
>> *did* have occasion to say it=2C I'd *still* say [=2CdaI@'risIs]=2C
>> irrigardless of what inty (the pronunciation of "*any*" in BE)
>> dictionary says.
>>
>> -Wilson
>>
>> On Thu=2C Oct 8=2C 2009 at 9:26 AM=2C Laurence Horn wrote:
>>> ---------------------- Information from the mail header ---------------=
--------
>>> Sender: American Dialect Society=20
>>> Poster: Laurence Horn=20
>>> Subject: Re: Portuguese language changes
>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------=
--------

>>> I've only ever heard the former pronunciation and that's the only one
>>> listed in AHD4=2C but I suppose the latter could be an actual spelling
>>> pronunciation=2C and I imagine the context would usually disambiguate.
>>> And as we know=2C some people pronounce it ['Umlaut].
>>>
>>> LH

>> --
>> -Wilson
>> =96=96=96
>> All say=2C "How hard it is that we have to die!"=96=96a strange complain=
t to
>> come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>> =96Mark Twain

> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org                                           =
=0A=
Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free.=0A=
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222985/direct/01/=