pissed on

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Sat Oct 10 19:22:59 UTC 2009

Sounds like what happens to someone when they're standing outside Lyndon
Johnson's tent.

Neither of the (current) Urban Dictionary definitions seems to fit with the
way the phrase is used in Slate:

<<
Pissed On

(1) The feeling that is worse than being pissed off.  If your pissed off
your seeing red, if your pissed on everyone in the room is already dead
including the EMT's, police, Marines and small animals that happened to be
in the room.

"Jim:Did you here about that 500 body count in that foam baseball bat
massacre?

Bob:Oh man that guy must have been pretty pissed on!"

(2)  pissed on

when a person is involved in a relationship

"Damn, I'd wanna hook up with him, but he's pissed on."

As it's used in Slate, it looks to me to be a reflex of "pissed off," which
is probably a British luction since when Brits are (simply) pissed, they
are, unlike USAmericans, drunk rather than angry.

Then there's the parade.  As was said to me by a British lexicographer
recently, casting cold water on the fire of my enthusiasm for discovering a
"new" Dekker cant poem (so OK, it was only lost between 1616 and 1969, but
who's counting?), "I am loathe to piss on the parade ..."

Robin Hamilton