saying "umlaut"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 10 19:37:27 UTC 2009

 <200910092348.n99ITLNA024054 at mailgw.cc.uga.edu>

Hotmail has developed a problem with plain text.  I hope this comes through=
 OK.
=20
=20
Below is a sound file of mine from audiopal about the ~oo sound (as in "goo=
d wood and "umlaut" ~oomlout)
=20
http://www.audiopal.com/grab_your_widget.html?mId=3D31710160.2

Note that when word frequency is considered=2C the letter string "oo" in ru=
nning text stands for short oo (~oo as in good) slightly more often than lo=
ng oo (~ue as in true) - ref truespel book 4.
=20

Tom Zurinskas=2C USA - CT20=2C TN3=2C NJ33=2C FL7+
see truespel.com phonetic spelling

> Date: Fri=2C 9 Oct 2009 16:48:36 -0700
> From: julia.achenbach at UNI-OLDENBURG.DE
> Subject: Re: saying "umlaut"
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>
> ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------=
------
> Sender: American Dialect Society=20
> Poster: Julia Achenbach=20
> Subject: Re: saying "umlaut"
------

> Shouldn't it be something like this:
> '?mla?t ???
>
> The letter "u" is short=2C similar to the way "u" is pronounced in "gun"=
=2C
> the so ~oom seems just a little bit weird to me.

>>> -----------------------
>>> Sender: American Dialect Society=20
>>> Poster: Tom Zurinskas=20
>>> Subject: saying "umlaut"
>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------=
--------

>>> Interestly "umlaut" has multiple pronunciations.
>>>
>>> At forvo.com=2C enter "umlaut"=2C click on the resulting first word (no=
>>> arrow)=2C see three pronunciations:
>>>
>>> 1 ~oomlout (where ~oo is as in "good" ~ou as in "out"=2C spoken by topq=
uark
>>> 2. ~oomlou' (where "t" is dropped or glottalized) spoken by threb
>>> 3. ~oomllaat (stress second syl=2C with ~aa as in "Saab"=2C spoken by O=
lbill.

>>> thefreedictionary.com has
>>> 1. USA =3D ~uemlout (where ~ue is as in "true")
>>> 2. UK =3D ~uemllout (stress second syllable)
>>>
>>> m-w.com has two pronunciations
>>> 1. firstly ~oomlout
>>> 2. secondly ~uemlout
>>> (but the phonetic notation is in reverse order. So which is really firs=
>>> or second?)
>>>
>>> It's pretty rare in English to have a word start with ~oo. Of the top 5=
>>> most popular words=2C none do.
>>>
>>> Tom Zurinskas=2C USA - CT20=2C TN3=2C NJ33=2C FL7+
>>> see truespel.com phonetic spelling
>>> Hotmail: Free=2C trusted and rich email service.
>>> http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222984/direct/01/

> --
> "A learned blockhead is a better blockhead than an ignorant one"
> - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org                                           =
=0A=
Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft.=0A=
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/=