*correction* "Murphy's Law" 1943, not

Thu Oct 15 16:32:46 UTC 2009

Fred's points are likewise well-taken. However, I would like some clarification as to what "infrequently" means

-----Original Message-----
From: "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
Date:         Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:30:12
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] *correction* "Murphy's Law" 1943, not

Ron's points are well-taken.  It is true that the particular "Murphy's Law" problem was something that would have come up if the letter in question was found with traditional research using printed materials.  But, speaking as someone who uses Google Books a lot for historical-lexicographical research and whose wife is a library researcher for the OED who is often asked to verify citations from Google Books, I would say that GB does have significant problems that are not easily verified from title pages online.  GB is fully capable of attaching title pages and texts that don't belong together, and does that not infrequently.

On balance, GB is more of a boon than a curse.  If the etymology of "whole nine yards" or "Murphy's Law" is ever solved, it will almost certainly be because Google Books or Newspaperarchive or some other large database happens to add the right book or newspaper or journal to its coverage.  My long-run fear, though, is that the allure and convenience of these databases is so great, and the economics of the alternative methods of research (research libraries of print materials) so problematic, that familiarity with print-based historical research will become a lost art and eventually few people will even be aware that there is a universe of print publications of which online versions are imperfect reproductions.

Fred Shapiro