Black English (UNCLASSIFIED)

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 16 04:24:39 UTC 2009

When we're at our cottage and watch Canadian TV news and Canadian
produced shows, black Canadians who don't have Caribbean, Haitian, or
various African accents tend to speak the same English as other
anglophone Canadians.  The exception is Canadian rappers.  On Canadian
variety shows, I've heard black Canadians rap in AAVE
indistinguishable from that of black American rappers, to my ear at
least.  When they're interviewed, however, they speak Canadian
English.   I should note that our TV sample is skewed:  the only
channel we can get on the SW shore of Georgian Bay right at the foot
of the 50 meter high Niagara Escarpment is CKCO, the CTV affiliate in
Kitchener-Waterloo.  Sometimes it even comes in in color.

I haven't picked up on an African-Canadian English, and I have no
knowledge of the dialects spoken in urban areas, though, like the
Golden Horseshoe wrapping around the western end of Lake Ontario.

Herb