"incredubility" -- an aggcorn, or a blend, or a mistyping?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Oct 19 02:44:14 UTC 2009

At 10/18/2009 12:48 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
I'm especially dubious about "dubiety" being involved here at all,
>but while "incredibility" may be, it's not necessarily a simple
>mistyping.

Not a simple mistyping?   "Incredibility" with a next-door,
same-finger "u" substituted for the 2nd "i" becomes "incredubility".

>Alternatively, it may be "incredulous" + -(a/i)bility, an
>all-purpose default nominalizer for forming abstract nominals.

But I like this hypothesis -- it seems more like what an overly
analytical and critical copy editor might manage to do with a word
her brain had only half formed.

Joel