"defecting"

James A. Landau <JJJRLandau@netscape.com> JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Tue Oct 20 18:29:40 UTC 2009

I heard a woman, discussing a hippie she had known in the 1980's, refer to "defecting to Canada".

I've never heard "defecting" in this context.  Also, considering that the man lived in Princeton NJ circa 1980, is it even correct?

OT:  from the Christian Science Monitor, referring to a Chinese hostage-rescue exercise:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/1020/p06s07-wosc.html

"CHINESE COMMANDOS IN TRAINING VIDEO
In the video, after a failed attempt at negotiating with the "pirates," balaclava clad helicopter and small boat-borne troops storm a vessel and subdue its captors."

Is that all the Chinese troops were wearing?

     - Jim Landau