Hollywood and "SIR!"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 20 22:51:26 UTC 2009

Some years ago  I began to notice that movies about the Vietnam War were
starting to represent enlisted troops in the field as addressing or
responding to commissioned officers with the barked word "SIR!"  This was
notably the case in _We Were Soldiers_ (2002), set in 1965.

I don't recall _ever_ hearing this ultra-hearty intonation in earlier films
about World War II, Korea, or even Vietnam.
Nor can I recall reading any comment to the effect that it was current. In
basic training, maybe, or at West Point.  But elsewhere?

My suspicion is that this "SIR! Yes, SIR!" is a latter-day (circa
1990?) affectation, though I wouldn't be surprised to find that movies have
reinforced it.  ("HOO-ah!" and "OO-rah!" both seem to post-date Vietnam as
well: they were discussed here a few years ago.)

Wilson, Bill, Jim, Dave, et al. What say you?

JL

--
"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"