"defecting"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 21 00:10:47 UTC 2009

At 7:31 PM -0400 10/20/09, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>What Alison says is certainly plausible, but "defect" sounds odd to me in
>this context because in my idiot-lect one can only "defect" to the enemy.
>
>The usual phrase, at least in my circle, was simply "go to [or "head for"]
>Canada."
>JL

I suspect irony may have been involved in this word choice.  They're
"the enemy" (in the eyes of those whose opinions are not respected by
the speaker) because they have socialized medicine, same-sex
marriage, bilingualism, generous support for the arts, etc. etc.
Along the same lines, someone might be said to have "defected to
France".  But not to England.  Just my intuition on "left-liberal"
irony, FWIW.

LH