a worm at one end and a fool at the other (1805) maggot variant (1788) and other citations

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Oct 25 04:08:25 UTC 2009

--

Earlier in the same poem (published 1860) I see mention of various
then-recent figures:

<<En prose, en poésie, on les compte par mille, / Laffitte,
Walter-Scott, Karr, Nodier, Béranger, / Pour charmer leurs loisirs,
s'amusaient à pêcher.>>

I suppose one can assume that this poem was not all that old in 1860,
and that the poet [named (or pen-named) "Guyet (de Lyon)"] was entirely
distinct from the Martial Guyet suggested.

-- Doug Wilson