"trouble" = to complicate; problematize.

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Oct 26 13:43:20 UTC 2009

Jon, did you come to praise this locution, or to bury it?  What came
to my mind was "troubled waters", roiled.  And the OED has "trouble,
v" sense 3:  "To put into a state of (mental) agitation or disquiet;
to disturb, distress, grieve, perplex."  That seems quite plausible
for your quotation.  Sense 5[a] is less to the point, but adds
color:  "To distress with something disagreeable and unwelcome; to
vex, annoy; to tease, plague, worry, pester, bother."

Joel