"trouble" = to complicate; problematize.

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Oct 26 17:35:14 UTC 2009

At 10/26/2009 11:32 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>If the novel semantic nuance of "trouble" goes no further than this one
>writer (please, please!), so be it. Lexicographers can ignore it.

I receive a distinct difference between "trouble" here and "from" in
the Beowulf review of Jon's other recent example -- I understand
"trouble" as a slightly extended sense of the perhaps more usual.  I
can't understand the review "from Beowulf" as making sense.  The
former is not wrong to me; the latter is.

>However, as so often happens, twenty years from now millions may be using it
>in just that way; so it seems wise, nay "proactive," to bring it to the
>attention, now, of my fellow Justice League members.

Gee, Jon, I didn't realize you were a prescriptivist!  We're in the
same camp -- why are we arguing?  :-)

Joel