H1N1 flu

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 2 20:22:09 UTC 2009

After reading various memos from my administrators, I'm forced to
concede that this is the official term for the pandemic, or whatever
it is, even if ordinary folks still think of "H1N1" as opposed to
"Swine Flu" the way New Yorkers think of "Avenue of the Americas" as
opposed to "Sixth Avenue".  But I wonder if I'm the only one who sees
it written in subject lines, headlines, etc., and read it as "Heinie
Flu".

After googling--the answer is no, I'm not the only one.  It's even in
Urban Dictionary.  554 hits today, and it's probably contagious!

WOTY watch?

LH