bogus = "illegal'

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 3 01:28:40 UTC 2009

FWIW, WRT gerontology, my PC physician told me that, after fifty years
of smoking, I have the lung-capacity of a 93-year-old. (It's amazing
the way those actuarial charts can pin things down!) OTOH, people tell
me that I look ten years younger than my actual age. They mean well,
but, given that that still leaves me in my early sixties, I'm not
swept off my feet. What acn you do?

-Wilson

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Jonathan Lighter<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: bogus = "illegal'
>
> Not long ago, Wilson, I discovered Jack Benny's secret for remaining 39.
> Just lie and have birthday party every year.
>
> It works!
>
> (I'd prefer 19, but I can't quite figure that one out.)
>
> JL
>
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: bogus =3D "illegal'
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
> ------
>>
>> Damn, mein! Dass bogus!
>>
>> Not your reaction to this reinterpretation of a fine old word, Jon,
>> with which I am in full agreement. That's language-change for you, to
>> paraphrase Lewis Carroll.
>>
>> It's that, sometimes, we colored just have to clown. Like, I crack
>> myself up and annoy my wife. That's what makes us such great comic
>> relief, despite intense Jewish competition - remember the (deli
>> proprietor?), Mr. Kropotkin, on the Jack Benny [dS&g bInI] show:
>> "Hoo-hoo-hoooo! MEEstair BEHnee!" Gave Rochester a run for his money!
>> It's probably a genetic thing. You wouldn't understand. But maybe you
>> would. One never knows, do one? ;-)
>>
>> BTW, did you know that Rochester had a son who was baller? Played pro
>> ball in the NFL, back in the day. Can't recall for which team.
>>
>> -Wilson
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Jonathan Lighter<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>> -----------------------
>> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> > Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
>> > Subject:      bogus =3D "illegal'
>> >
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
> ------
>> >
>> > CNN reports that to ten per cent of kidney transplants worldwide are
>> > "bogus."
>> >
>> > Turns out that means that the recipients got real kidneys, but the
>> kidneys
>> > were obtained on the black market.
>> >
>> > JL
>> >

>> > --
>> > "There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
>> > Platypus"

>> > The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>> >

>> --
>> -Wilson
>> =96=96=96
>> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint
>> to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>> -----
>> -Mark Twain

> --=20
> "There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
> [...]

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain