This one's for Fred

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 8 04:43:11 UTC 2009

Ass, gas, or grass. Nobody rides for free. In the NatLamp, eons ago
('60's? '70's?). Probably in speech before that, but the only person
that I've heard actually to say it is your humble correspondent.

Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get
you through times of no dope. Free-wheelin' Franklin of The Furry
Freak Brothers.

I've always lived by this golden rule:
Whatever happens, don't blow your cool.
You've got to have nerves of steel
And never let folk know how you honestly feel. Oscar Brown, Jr. in,
But I Was Cool!

(If ..., then) I'll kiss your ass on the courthouse lawn at high noon
and give you forty-five minutes to draw a crowd! Heard it in the
'50's. Some friend used to say it.

-Wilson

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:55 PM, George Thompson<george.thompson at nyu.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
> Subject:      This one's for Fred
>
> An undoubtable proverb, with a pretty good chance to date from no earlier than the 20th C.; for his new project:
>
> Remember the tried and true rule to "Seek warblers in fall where chickadees call."
>
> Frank Murphy
> Platte Clove, NY
>
> This was the conclusion of a submission to a Hudson River Valley bird-watchers' list.
>
> GAT
>
> George A. Thompson
> Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain