nuclear option

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 10 13:35:34 UTC 2009

Republicans have been using the term "nuclear option" of the Democrats
threat to use the reconciliation process in the Senate to pass health
care reform and avoid a filibuster.  I last recall "nuclear option"
being used by Senate Democrats in 2005 with reference to Cheney's
threat to use a wrinkle in Senate rules to change the filibuster rule
by simple majority vote.  I don't know if it's used as a political
metaphor before that. I sense that the term has generalized to mean a
legitimate but unfair political tactic, at least from the viewpoint of
those opposed to it and using the term.  It doesn't seem to get used
by those supporting the tactic.

Herb