Mark Mandel Mark.A.Mandel at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 11 19:20:03 UTC 2009

Is there a term for a euphemism that exists only in writing? This isn't like
"urinate" for "piss", or for that matter "the F-word" for "'fuck'"; but
neither is it a partial or total redaction like "f***" or "What the !%#@?"

m a m

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <
Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
> Probably too late for the new edition of Jesse's "The F Word", but . . .
> I just read somewhere that "fvck" is a common euphemism for "fuck" at
> MIT, likely resulting from the Latinate spelling on the neoclassical
> buildings.
> Here are a couple of examples:

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list