Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 11 19:55:32 UTC 2009

At 9/11/2009 03:20 PM, Mark Mandel wrote:

>Is there a term for a euphemism that exists only in writing? This isn't like
>"urinate" for "piss", or for that matter "the F-word" for "'fuck'"; but
>neither is it a partial or total redaction like "f***" or "What the !%#@?"

What -- you can't pronounce "fv"?  Let's ask a Russian linguist.  Wilson?

>m a m
>On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <
>Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> > Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> > Caveats: NONE
> >
> > Probably too late for the new edition of Jesse's "The F Word", but . . .
> >
> > I just read somewhere that "fvck" is a common euphemism for "fuck" at
> > MIT, likely resulting from the Latinate spelling on the neoclassical
> > buildings.

I think not Latinate, but stonecarver's and colonial Massachusetts' printer's.


The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list