Melons

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Sat Sep 12 06:13:28 UTC 2009

From:    Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>

> If you think there might be "dual meaning" there, I recommend Christina
> Rosetti's "Goblin Market" (1859-62)

> http://www.loudlit.org/audio/goblin/pages/01_01_goblin.htm

> Go wild!

This, actually, is the text the student is working with.

I have to admit to a bit of skepticism, because it relies on a
to-my-mind iffy sort of lit-crit. (The idea is that it starts out with
the character fantasizing about a man but it going nowhere, then
switching to a woman in terms of melons and it working for her. To be
quite honest, i just don't see it.)

The idea has been batted about for a while in lit-crit approaches to
Goblin Market, apparently, and the student wanted to see if there might
actually be anything to it. (He hopes there is, FWIW.)

--
David Bowie                                  http://www.pmpkn.net/lx/