Netscape -> Firefox?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Sat Sep 12 15:19:50 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 11:09:45AM -0400, Joel S. Berson wrote:
> Mention of Firefox reminds me that in the last month or less the
> Harvard library sytem has apparently switched from Microsoft's
> Internet Explorer to Firefox.  (I only looked to see what browser was
> in use because when I wanted to open a second window it opened it as
> a tab instead.)  I am still using Netscape (I'm a late adopter), but

Man, kickin' it old skool!

Time to switch, Joel.

> Has anyone switched from Netscape to Firefox?
>
> Were you able to transfer your bookmark structure and
> bookmarks?  Other settings?

There are utilities for doing this, if necessary; Google
is your friend. For example:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2033344_migrate-netscape-firefox.html

http://blog.netscape.com/2008/01/08/migrating-from-netscape-to-mozilla-firefox-and-thunderbird/

http://www.favbrowser.com/how-to-migrate-from-netscape-to-firefox-and-thunderbird/

And so forth.

> Is the user interface sufficiently like Netscape that I won't have to
> learn to talk again?

You shouldn't have much of a problem.

> Any other cautions or comments?

Install AdBlock Plus as soon as you're up and running.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED