"um-weird"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Sep 13 01:18:49 UTC 2009

At 7:28 PM -0400 9/12/09, Alison Murie wrote:
>THis particular interpretation of  um- is news to me.  I use "Um." or
>"Um," facetiously, usually to imply something like "it goes without
>saying," or "as you know."  If this has led to misreading of some of
>my posts, put it down to ignorance on my part.
>AM

Well, umfriend (presumably originating as a euphemism for 'lover' in
contexts like "Grandma, this is Chris, my, um, friend") is indeed
lexicalized with initial stress; unfortunately, the entry at
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=umfriend doesn't
provide phonetics.  Despite Jon's welcome nomination of
"umliterature" in the aforementioned 2005 post, I fear we'll have to
massage "umliterature" (still unlisted in the urbandic) a bit harder.

LH