The OED and "adulterous" & "adultery"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 13 19:39:56 UTC 2009

"... anything _particular to_ an infertile married woman."

Good one, Joel! Magnificent use of the particularities of English
syntax and semantics! Just beautiful! Bravo! I was faked right out of
my drawers! ("Faked out of one's *shoes*," etc. are euphemisms. I
prefer the original.) For a split second, I thought  that you had
miswritten. Then, your meaning, in all its
messing-with-your-mind-if-you're-not-truly-hip-to-the-tip clarity, was
revealed unto me. Bra-vo!

To borrow what's-her-face's catch phrase: "I love it! I love it! I love it!"

Sigh! I've just heard "Knock yourself out!" used as a slogan in a
Sprint commercial. That bugs my head! I gots to go!

-Wilson

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: The OED and "adulterous" & "adultery"
>
> At 9/12/2009 02:39 PM, ronbutters at AOL.COM wrote:
>>Where is there a law that says anything about conception? Would a
>>married man who had intercourse with an 80-year-old woman not be
>>guilty of adultery? Or if he had anal intercourse with a fertile young woman?
>>
>>Just wondering.
>
> Me too -- about the law in modern times.
>
> In colonial New England (i.e., before 1692), adultery would only have
> been charged in an opposite-sex circumstance, specifically of a man
> with a married woman; that is how the law was written.  I was
> probably wrong to imply that the possibility of conception was a
> crucial factor in charging adultery.  (I don't recall reading
> anything particular to an infertile married woman.)
>
> The possibility of conception -- or rather its absence -- was the
> significant factor in considering a sexual act "unnatural".  Thus
> anal intercourse by a man with a fertile young woman, even if she
> were married, would have been presented as sodomy (a capital crime),
> not adultery, as would male-male sexual activity.  (Sexual activity
> between two women was not sodomy by law, with possibly no cases
> having been discovered -- it would be difficult to produce witnesses
> or other evidence.  If such a case had been presented, the charge
> would have been something like "unnatural acts".)
>
> Joel

–––
-----
-Mark Twain