"particular"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Sep 14 00:41:07 UTC 2009

Gee, Wilson, I must be smarter than I think I am
(difficult to believe, I know, but ...)

I meant "2. a. That is a unit or one among a
number; taken or considered as an individual,
apart from the rest; single; distinct, individual, *specific*;"

or "3.b. Belonging only to a specified person or
thing; proper, peculiar, restricted."

Ah, I see.  Scrolling down to
"5.d. euphem. in a particular condition:
pregnant. Cf. (to be) in an interesting condition at INTERESTING adj. 3. rare."
With only one quotation in the draft revision
Sept. 2009, from ... yes, you guessed it, J. Joyce (1922), Ulysses.

Well, I admit to having known this sense, (from
whence is an interesting question.  I have not
read Ulysses.  [Yes, I know -- as recalcitrant as
still using Netscape.]  Does that mean it is not
a hapax legomena?  Or perhaps more mundanely, I
heard it.), but I assert I played it completely
unconsciously, not as an intentional trump.

joel