"transliteration " = a derived form; "occlude" = to hide from sight or knowledge; obscure

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 14 15:04:53 UTC 2009

Those names seem highly questionable to me too.

The name _Avalon_ comes directly from  _(Insula) Avallonis_, AFAIK, which
undoubtedly is related to apples.

I don't know anything about _attalon_ and _afalxon_, and neither do my
favorite databases or _The New Arthurian Encyclopedia_.

Peter Ackroyd is, however, a Commander of the British Empire.

JL